Los Angeles Dodgers star closer Edwin Diaz is back on the injured list for the second time in the current season. Despite his recent challenges on the mound, the team received encouraging news.
An MRI conducted on Wednesday revealed that Diaz’s condition is limited to neck inflammation, which manager Dave Roberts described as the “best case” outcome. “It went well,” Roberts told Owen Perkins of the Orange County Register. “There were no additional findings, so that was good. The MRI was clean. This doesn’t change the presence of discomfort, but ongoing rest from pitching is advised.”
Roberts further stated, “It’s probably going to be a couple of days for Diaz to rest, followed by soft tissue work and manual therapy to aid his return. Again, best-case scenario.”
This diagnosis suggests that Diaz, who had elbow surgery earlier this season to remove loose bodies, might be able to return to play before the season ends. The Dodgers are in pursuit of a third consecutive World Series victory, and Diaz was a key addition in the offseason after signing a three-year, $69 million contract. However, Diaz has faced challenges, blowing multiple saves recently.
Diaz identified mechanical issues as contributing to his struggles. If the neck inflammation is causing these issues, the injury list stint could benefit the team in the long term. Diaz admitted the problem with his posture, stating, “I think I’m leaning too much to the right-handed hitter; instead, go straight to home plate. I think today was way better, I think I was rushing myself a bit.”
He further noted, “They told me that my arm angle was a little low, so I was working to correct that. My posture is the main focus. I think today’s performance was improved, and my fastball was better than yesterday’s.”
According to Roberts, the issue is muscular and not related to the nerves. This provides optimism that Diaz can correct his posture and play without experiencing neck pain.
